According to Jon Kabat-Zinn, “Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally.” Studies show that individuals who practice mindfulness report a decrease in stress and anxiety, reduced chronic pain, an improved immune system, higher relationship satisfaction, and an improved ability to focus and pay attention.
To Learn More:
- Like our Warren County Extension Facebook page to see Mindful Monday posts each week. These weekly posts are helpful reminders about the importance of mindfulness or quick tips to be more mindful throughout your day. Search for #MindfulMonday to see all our posts throughout the year.
- Mindful Wellness is a series of one-hour lessons on mindfulness. It is designed to be offered to a small group with the expectation that all participants can attend the entire series of 3 - 5 lessons. It can be offered in partnership with a worksite wellness program or with other community sites.
- OSU Extension Fact Sheets:
- Follow the Live Smart Ohio Mind and Body Blog
- Books by Jon Kabat-Zinn include: Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness, Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain and Illness, Mindfulness for Beginners: Reclaiming the Present Moment - And Your Life, and Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life. You can learn more about Kabat-Zinn and his work by visiting: www.mindfulnesscds.com
Free Mindfulness Recordings
The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center recommends mindfulness practice to complement medical treatment to help reduce anxiety, chronic pain, depression, insomnia, and stress. Ohio State's Center for Integrative Health and Wellness offers free mindfulness recordings for personal use. Additional guided imagery downloads can be found here.
Additional Online Resources:
- University of Virginia School of Medicine: med.virginia.edu/mindfulness-center/continue-your-practice/audio-recordings
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center: marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations (in English and Spanish)
- Dr. Benzo's Mindful Breathing Lab at Mayo Clinic: mayo.edu/research/labs/mindful-breathing/audio-files
- Virtual Calming Room created by the Sacramento City Unified School District: calmingroom.scusd.edu
- JustBreathe (a campaign created by the One University faculty/staff wellness sub-council): https://yp4h.osu.edu/justbreathe